Prayer Before Reading Our Blog

Come Holy SpiritCome Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love.


V. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created.


R. And You shall renew the face of the earth.


O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.


Prayer for Enlightenment

O Holy Spirit, divine Spirit of light and love, I consecrate to Thee my understanding, my heart and my will, my whole being for time and for eternity. May my understanding be always obedient to Thy heavenly inspirations and the teachings of the holy Catholic Church, of which Thou art the infallible Guide; may my heart be ever inflamed with love of God and of my neighbor; may my will be ever conformed to the divine will, and may my whole life be a faithful following of the life and virtues of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom with the Father and Thee be honor and glory for ever. Amen.




Friday, July 20, 2012

THE CONVERSION OF BORN-AGAIN PASTOR MICHAEL CUMBIE

Former Pentecostal preacher Mike Cumbie now a Catholic lay preacher...

If you had told me the truth would have led me to the Roman Catholic Church, I would have slapped you and your momma. SHUT UP!

by Leonard Alt on Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 4:21am ·
 
MICHAEL CUMBIE; “Catholic!!!  There is no such thing as truth and Catholic in the same sentence.  That was just the way I was raised.” 
What would make this Protestant pastor for twenty three years convert to Catholicism? “I wanted to go back to the beginning, cause there is so many denominations and I love them all.  All filled with wonderful Christian people.  But a lot of confusion among us as Protestants, about whose version of the Bible is the right version, whose interpretation is the right interpretation…no authority.”
Baptism doeth now save you; that was in my Baptist bible and I never saw it because I had Baptist glasses.   Whatever your tradition is, and this is not a criticism, this is how it should be.   If you’re a Southern Baptist, then when you read the Bible you put on your Southern Baptist glasses and that’s the filter.  If you’re a Methodist, you have Methodist glasses.  If you are Presbyterian, the filter the lens through which you see is going to be from your denomination.  This is the way it should be.  Somebody said “well Michael all you did was trade off all those glasses in for a set of Catholic glasses.  I said that’s true, but there the original pair.   That is who gave us the Scripture and the Catholic Church is really the one that has the authority to interpret the book. 
Michael has made a couple of excellent points here.  The Bible alone is not enough to solve the confusion of whose interpretation is correct and that is why he wanted to go back to the beginning.  The second point he makes is the type of glasses you wear determines how you interpret the Bible.   In this he is admitting that everybody is coming from somewhere and is actually admitting that everyone has a tradition that colors how they see the Bible. 
One of the things I always liked about the Catholic Church is that it is a very honest church.  The Church admits up front that we follow the Bible and the teaching TRADITION of the Catholic Church.  Protestants will admit that the Catholic Church has a tradition and in fact will criticize the Catholic Church for it.   All the while, they will deny they too have a tradition as well.  This is not very honest because they too see Scripture through their own set of glasses.   A non-Catholic who gets to the point of honestly admitting that they have a TRADITION is well on his way to becoming Catholic whether he knows it or not.   
MICHAEL CUMBIE IS AN EXCELLENT WRITER AND SPEAKER IF YOU WISH TO HEAR THE REST OF THE STORY CONTACT HIM ON FACE BOOK OR the website The Catholic Company for his materials.   http://search.catholiccompany.com/search?w=Cumbie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment